Dr. Vijay Koka joined Renal Specialists of Houston in 2007 after completing a fellowship in Nephrology at Baylor College of Medicine. With a previous master’s degree in public health from Harvard University, he has been published in numerous medical journals, including Circulation and Nephrology. Dr. Koka practices primarily in the southeast/Pasadena region, and is Medical Director at Fresenius Kidney Care LaPorte and Strawberry dialysis facilities.
- Volunteer Faculty, Baylor College of Medicine
- Hospitalist, Meritcare Hospital North Dakota 2002 - 2004
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston Texas 2004 - 2007
- University of North Dakota, Fargo ND 1999 – 2002
- National University of Singapore, Research Student 1997 – 1998
- Medwin Hospital, Hyderabad India 1997
- Mediciti Hospital, Hyderabad India 1996
- Masters in Public Health, Harvard University School of Public Health 1998 - 1999
- Christian Medical College, Vellore India 1990 – 1996
- Medicine and Surgery
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine Diplomate in Nephrology
AREAS OF CLINICAL INTEREST
- Vasculitis and Glomerulonephritis
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Dialysis Access Management
- CHI Baylor St Luke’s Medical Center
- Cornerstone Hospital
- HCA Houston Healthcare Clear Lake
- HCA Houston Healthcare Pearland
- HCA Houston Healthcare Southeast
- Houston Methodist Baytown
- Houston Methodist Clear Lake
- Houston Methodist Medical Center
- Kindred Bay Area Hospital
- Kindred Clear Lake
- Kindred Medical Center
- Memorial Hermann Pearland Hospital
- Memorial Hermann Southeast Hospital
- PAM Rehabilitation Hospital of Clearlake
- PAM Rehabilitation Hospital of Clearlake North
- St. Luke’s Patients Medical Center
- Koka V, Wang W, Huang XR, Kim-Mitsuyama S, Truong LD, Lan HY. Advanced glycation end products activate a chymase-dependent angiotensin II-generating pathway in diabetic complications. Circulation. 2006 March 14;113(10):1353-60.
- Wang W. Koka V. Lan HY. Transforming growth factor-beta and Smad signaling in kidney diseases. Nephrology (Carlton).2005 Feb;10(1):48-56.
- Potti A, Ganti AK, Tuchman SA, Sholes K, Langness E, KokaV, Koch M. HER-2/neu and CD117 (c-kit) over expression in patients with pesticide exposure and extensive stage small cell carcinoma (ESSCLC). J Carcinog, 2005 June 9;4-8.
- Potti A, Forseen SE, Koka VK, Pervez H, Koch M, Fraiman G.Mehdi SA, Levitt R. Determination of HER-2/neu overexpression and clinical predictors of survival in a cohort of 347 patients with primary malignant brain tumors. Cancer Invest.2004;22(4):537-44.
- Koka V, Potti A, Forseen SE, Pervez H, Fraiman GN, Koch M.Levitt R. Role of HER 2/neu over expression and clinical determinants of early mortality in glioblastoma multiforme.Am J Clin Oncol.2003 Aug;26(4):332-5.
- Ganti AK, Potti A, Koka VK, Pervez H, Mehdi SA. Myeloproliferative syndromes and the associated risk of
- coronary artery disease. Thromb Res.2003 May 1;110(2,3)83-6.
- Abdel-Raheem MM, Potti A, Tadros S. Koka V, Hanekom D,Fraiman G, Danielson BD. Effect of low-molecular-weight heparin on potassium homeostasis. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb.2002 May-June;32(3):107-10.
- Froseen SE, Potti A, Koka V, Koch M, Fraiman G, Levitt R. Identification and relationship of HER-2/neu over expression to short term mortality in primary malignant brain tumors. Anticancer Res. 2002 May-June;22(3):1599-602.